Psshh… Who Needs High School?

YOU DO!

High School is in fact one of the coolest things that you will experience in life. The neat thing about this cool opportunity is that you HAVE to go. Well, you have to go if you want to get anywhere in life. There are countless amounts of activities, sports, clubs, and friend groups to be a part of. You will meet some of the best and some of the worst people in your life while you are in High School. Soooooo why is doing good in High School so important? (this is a lengthy post so bear with me!)

Laugh a Little- it's okay!

Laugh a Little- it’s okay!

• College- We all watch those Big Ten schools compete in games, we wear their logos with pride, and we fight with our friends about which school is better. Why can’t you be a part of that? Maybe a Big Ten school isn’t for you, maybe Saint Xavier is! No matter where you go, there is going to be a minimum requirement. Try applying to Saint Xavier, see if you make the cut!
  • Scholarships- There are scholarships that you can receive for just about anything! Apply, Apply, Apply! If you don’t get one, try another! Saint Xavier gives out millions of dollars in scholarships every year. They base one of the scholarships on your GPA (grade point average) and your ACT score, the higher they are, the less you pay for college!
  • Moving on in Your Future and Career- Where do you see yourself in 10 years? A nurse, teacher, counselor, police officer, speech pathologist, insurance agent, doctor etc.? College is the way to achieve these goals. Try taking a look at our undergraduate programs! After you graduate with your undergrad degree, you can go on to achieve a graduate degree.
  • Graduation- Why graduate in the low 30% of your class when you can strive to be in the top 15%! The more you can add to your resume, the better you look! The higher you keep your grades, the less stress you will have on your shoulders when it comes to applying to college.

Everyone complains about High School. Why would you want to go on to more schooling, if you don’t even enjoy the schooling that you’re in now?

• Repetitive Schedules, mandatory class, and classes are not interesting

IN COLLEGE you can make your own schedule from under 12 credit hours (part-time student) to over 12 credit hours (full-time student). You can choose what section of the class you want to take and what time works best for you. It is your responsibility to make it to class so that you do not miss any lectures.

• You get your cell phone taken from you when you use it in class

IN COLLEGE you can bring you beloved cell phones to class so you can learn and talk to your boyfriend/girlfriend at the same time (I know you all can’t go a full hour without knowing what the other is doing). You can even bring your laptops, iPad, tablets etc. You can download the notes, type the notes, and share them all within the same hour. On most cell phones (smart phones) you can download apps that actually help you in class such as a graphing calculator, dictionary, chemistry formulas, and anatomy diagrams. You can even send your assignments to the printers here from your laptop or mobile device!

• Chewing gum gets you 5 detentions

IN COLLEGE YOU CAN EAT IN CLASS, respectfully of course! You can bring water bottles, soda, energy drinks, lunch, breakfast, and countless amount of other things to get you through the day. There are many places on campus that you can buy food and drinks from. Aside from our main cafeteria here at Saint Xavier, there is also an on campus Starbucks and Subway!

• Having trouble and you can’t seem to get your teacher to help you in the right way

IN COLLEGE you can get all the help you need, for FREE! We have tutors, students who have already taken the course, a fully stocked library, full computer labs for each individual major, and all of the teachers have mandatory office hours. During these office hours, you can meet with your professors and get the help you need!

My roommates are going to kill me for posting this picture! I am so lucky to have met these awesome people

In High School I was part of the cool crowd, the nerds, and the jocks. I was also part of the Science Club, Environmental Club, Special Education Adaptive PE Program, Pep Club, and Student Ambassadors. I knew everyone and just about everything that went on in my school. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without my High School experience. When I graduated from Lincoln-Way I thought it couldn’t get any better than that… then I got here. The people I have met, the classes I have taken, and the teachers/faculty/staff that have helped me along the way is outstanding. At this point in my life, again, I draw the question as to if it can get better than this!