The Music Power of SXU

The music program is extremely diverse here at SXU. There are over seven different music ensembles, ranging from smaller groups, like the guitar ensemble and the jazz combo, to the bigger groups like marching band and orchestra. For me, they were a great way to improve my performance skills and have fun meeting new people who share the love of music as I do. I feel it’s diverse in the styles of music the different ensembles can play. The Jazz Combo plays jazz music from Miles Davis to quartet tunes and the Jazz Band plays big band arrangements of swing jazz songs to Frank Sinatra. If you are into more classical music, there is the orchestra and the guitar ensemble playing Bach to Mozart. Finally, if you are more into modern tunes and love supporting the school’s sport teams, the Marching Band is for you. I heard them do a big band cover of the Led Zeppelin song “Kashmir”.

I have had a great time performing my personal favorite, jazz music with the Jazz Combo. For me. it I felt it was our own rock-star experience. The other students and I even thought of a fun name to call our band. We were the “Cycle of 7.”There were seven of us in the band, myself on guitar, Genevieve on saxophone, Mark on saxophone, Felix on the trombone, Denote on drums, Mike on the bass and Tom on the piano. We toured all around the SXU campus, bringing the house down at Starbucks, to playing for bar-hoppers at Gillhooleys. If you are looking for a rock-star experience I strongly recommend the Jazz Combo.