Riot Fest

Hello Cougar Diaries Readers!

My friends and I at Riot Fest!

My friends and I at Riot Fest!

Over the summer, myself and a few of my close friends decided that we wanted to attend Riot Fest this year. For those of you who don’t know, Riot Fest is a huge punk, rock, and alternative music festival. It’s basically Lollapalooza’s crazier, less expensive cousin. (It has carnival rides and a freak show for crying out loud!) I waited all summer long for thisglorious weekend in September that would feature some of my absolute favorite bands and lots of undiscovered talent that I would surely need to know more about. For me, listening to music is such a beautiful and truly spiritual experience…so you can just imagine how much I appreciated September 13th, 14th, and 15th 2013.

Sean Mackin of Yellowcard

Sean Mackin of Yellowcard. Photo credit to William Weyant.

I got to see one of my all-time favorite bands, Yellowcard, for the second time, got crushed in Fall Out Boy’s pit, and screamed the lyrics to every blink-182 song they played. I danced to rapper Atmosphere, as well as indie ska group the Selectors. Even though it was rainy and cold for most of the last day, the rain ceased and clouds parted once my favorite band, Brand New, took the stage. Seeing Brand New up close and hearing the songs that got me through my angsty teenage years was something I can’t even put into words. Just know that it really touched my heart and soul in a way no other performance ever has. My friends and I left Riot Fest with smiles on our faces, stress erased from our hearts, and the desire to keep finding things in this world that made us feel the way this festival did.

Mark Hoppus of blink-182. Photo credit to William Weyant.

The last thing I want to talk about before I go is College Radio Day, which takes place on October 1st every year. This day is special to me because I am involved with WXAV, the radio station at SXU. Every year to celebrate this day, WXAV does a TON of various things here on campus and on the radio in order to raise awareness for college radio. So make sure you tune in to 88.3, or go talk to some of the DJ’s in the diner on this day to support SXU’s coolest organization on campus!

That’s all I have time for for now, but always remember…

“Music always helps, no matter what you’re going through.”

Peace and love,

Torie