Midterms have arrived…

“OMG, I’m sooooo stressed.”

“I can’t take all of this work.”

“Can I just drop out of school already?”

“What the heck am I even doing with my life???”

How I feel right now.

How I feel right now…

These statements, plus a BUNCH of other less blog appropriate phrases, have been frequenting my vocabulary for the past week. Midterms are in full swing here at SXU and every student is feeling the pressure and stress. No one is safe! Everyone I talk to seems to be just as overwhelmed as I am, but you really can’t blame us….midterms suck. For anyone that doesn’t know what midterms are, let me explain them to you as best as I can in college student terms.

mid-term

noun, plural: midterms

1. Either an exam, presentation, or paper that professors use to extensively assess students’ knowledge of subject matter in their classes. Usually all of your professors cram these lovely assignments in to the span of one or two weeks, at the same time as all your other classes.

2. Either an exam, presentation, or paper that will make you question your smarts, why you’re even in college in the first place, and your sanity. They also may cause insomnia, lack or increase of appetite, ulcers, migraines, and increased procrastination.

Okay, so I’m being a little over dramatic. Midterms are bad, but not unconquerable. Yes, you have like five or six subjects all begging your complete and undivided attention with whatever work your teacher has assigned…but you can make it. And I’m here to give you some advice on how to do that!

deepbreathingmeditation

First off, BREATHE. No, seriously. Breathe. Take a deep and cleansing breath in through your nose, and exhale out of your mouth. Now do this again, and again, until you feel yourself calming down. Maybe it’s just because I’ve really gotten into yoga recently, but deep breathing really helps me to relax.

no-perfection

Next, REALIZE that you cannot be perfect. Unless you’re a robot, you will make mistakes and get a bad grade here or there. You don’t have to study for hours and hours if you don’t feel like it, sometimes it’s more worth it to take the B than to make yourself crazy for the A. Putting less pressure on yourself actually helps you perform better! (Unless you’re one of those crazy people that actually thrive under pressure…then you can keep doing what you do).

FRIENDS is a great stress reducing show!

DO things that you love. Work out, watch reruns of Friends, write poetry, read books…this  is what will keep you sane. Allow yourself a break from studying and just enjoy life.

study room

JOIN study groups. This will help you find people who can support and encourage you, and vice versa. Supporting one another through midterms is key to surviving the stress!

The library is suuuuch a good place to get work done in. Nice and quiet without any distractions.

USE your resources. Go to the learning center, work on midterms in the library, talk to counseling services. Departments within the university are here to help!

Yes, I know this is picture is cheesy...don't judge.

Yes, I know this is picture is cheesy…don’t judge.

And lastly, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!

Midterms may be one of the suckiest parts of the college experience, but I always realize that it’s one small aspect of the whole time I will spend at SXU. There are so many bigger and better things that will outweigh all the stress you feel about midterms and I hope that thought is enough to help you make it through.

Good luck to everyone out there! And I’ll see you in a week!