Commuting vs. Living On Campus

Fun fact of the day: Saint Xavier University has more commuter students than people who live on campus.

And by more, I mean A LOT more. The ratio between these two types of people on campus is probably around 70-80 % commuter and 20-30% resident. Which is an extremely big difference for any university, private or public.

Whether this piece of information is a good or bad thing, I can’t tell ya. But what I can say is that I think there are a good amount of pros and cons with being a commuter. I myself commuted for my first two years at SXU before becoming an RA this year and living in Regina Hall. Which is why I wanted to do a blog on commuting! Whether you are a prospective student looking into Saint Xavier for college, or are already taking classes here….this blog is for you. I’m going to tell you about the good, the bad, and the ugly (and boy, there is some ugly) of being a commuter student at Saint Xavier University.

Because I am feeling really positive today, let’s start with the good:

ecard.

It saves money.

Living off campus while attending this university saves you about $10,000 a year. That extra ten grand you will be saving can help you pay off some of the student loans you’ll be taking out for tuition costs.

No homesickness.

No explanation needed!

The food is wayyyyyy better.

I’m not going to get into my annoyance with the food service here on campus because that will take up too much precious space in my blog. But let me just say that home cooked meals > diner food. ALWAYS.

sorry-thoroughly-enjoy-distracting-apology-ecard-someecards

Less distractions.

Studying is easier to do away from school, there is more peace and quiet, and you can focus in on the things that are most important without getting sidetracked. If you have a short attention span, commuting is your best bet.

And now onto the bad and the ugly:

parking.

Parking sucks.

Parking is truly ugly here at SXU. I’ve heard horror stories of people having to drive around for thirty minutes for a spot. Ain’t nobody got time for that. Living on campus means that you literally have a two minute walk from your “house” to your classroom. A pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

Less freedom.

This specifically deals with people who commute from home. Since you will still be living with your parents, a lot of their rules will still apply to you. Curfew still needs to to be followed. Chores need to be done. Your parents can pressure you into telling them your grades. Living on campus eliminates all of that. But you should probably still clean your room and get good grades…..

gasssss.

Gas Prices and Public Transportation.

Driving every day will be pretty costly. Unless your parents rock and pay for your gas! Which they probably won’t. Plus, public transportation becomes a pain in the butt once the first snow hits.

Not getting the full college experience.

I experienced this first hand for two years. As involved as I could be while commuting, I couldn’t do as much as I wanted to without living on campus. It’s so easy to go home right after class instead of staying after and participating in different clubs and organizations. And it’s hard to see all of your resident friends hanging out and having fun without you when you have to go home.

All in all, choosing to either commute or live on campus is your choice! There are some good and bad things about each choice, but I always prefer to look on the bright side about things. Both commuting AND residing on campus gives SXU students the best education possible…because let’s be honest here, it’s the grades that count. Right?

Until next time!