Keep calm and love on!

Being able to stay calm in a stressful situation is a skill that will help exponentially in life. I have found myself struggling to stay calm since i’ve been in college here at SXU. I stress about friendships, time management, due dates, and exams, and if you catch me when i’m letting myself get stressed- i’m not myself. However, when i’m not stressing about the work that needs to be done, and remaining calm while doing it, I find myself producing quality work, faster. After all, stressing out about things creates another distraction that keeps one from doing what the cause of their stress is.images-2

Staying calm is a lot easier said than done, here are some tips to help you remain calm:

1. Discuss your frustration. A lot of times, stress that we are feeling is caused or involves other people. Simply just talking to somebody about issues can often alleviate the stress. Even if the stress you are feeling doesn’t involve another person, talking to somebody about stress and frustration that you have kept internalized will often help you see your situation differently.
  2. Find outlets. Work out, paint, meditate, do yoga. It doesn’t matter what you do, but do something!! It’s a lot easier to get down to work when you’ve had your fair share of fun. Don’t have too much fun, spending too much time doing things that are for pleasure will not keep you calm when your deadline is tomorrow and you haven’t started yet.
  3. Have a schedule/routine. Personally, I do certain classes homework on the same day every week. This way I make sure that I have all my work done and I can remain calm usually… though I still catch myself procrastinating sometimes.

SXU has a great staff so, over all, keeping calm has actually not been as much of a struggle here as I thought. Remember people, mind over matter:)