Choosing a Major!

welcome.

Coming into Saint Xavier University just a few short years ago, I had no idea what the heck I wanted to do with my life. I remember filling out the online application and thinking, “Why in the world do I have to decide my future career path at 17??” So instead of committing to any random major that sounded interesting to me, I clicked Undecided.

Fast forward to a few months later, and I was sitting at FOCUS (our school’s two day orientation) meeting new people and trying to build friendships with people I had just met. A question that seemed to be on the tip of everyone’s tongue was…”WHAT’S YOUR MAJOR???”

I, of course, told everyone that I was undecided and was very proud of my answer. But the judgmental look on a lot of people’s faces told me that I shouldn’t be. My answer really got no response from anyone, but was a good stepping stone for them to start talking about their major and all the wonderful things they were going to do after college. Which was cool for them, but made me kind of scared. All these people knew exactly what they wanted to do in life and I had no idea. They were going to be successful and I would end up living in my parents house for the rest of my life.

I wish it were this simple...

I wish it were this simple…

I came home from FOCUS and was determined that I would pick a major before beginning my first day at this school. But I didn’t. Which only led me to feel more and more anxious about college. Was I just wasting money going here? Would I disappoint my parents? What if I choose a career path and end up hating it for the rest of my life?

Yeah, you can say I was pretty neurotic at this point and just driving myself crazy. Which is what I realized. And looking back in retrospect, I’m actually GLAD I started out not knowing what I was doing.

It gave me the opportunity to come into SXU, take a ton of gen eds, & explore different fields of study I was interested in. And because I took only gen eds my first year, I eventually stumbled upon my current major! Psychology is something I am extremely passionate about and maybe would have never fallen in love with unless I took Psych 101 as an undecided major.

As I went through my sophomore and junior years, it’s been kind of funny watching some people change their majors. These were the people who were SOOOO set on being nurses or teachers, then decided it wasn’t right for them. The ones who made me feel embarrassed about not knowing what I wanted to do with my life. Gotta love karma.

Make it rain on them...(you finish that phrase because I can't)

Make it rain on them…(you finish that phrase because I can’t)

But even if you do know what you want to do at 18, 19 years old…that’s awesome too. Or even if you change your major. What’s most important is doing what makes you happy in the long run. What is going to make you excited to wake up every day for the rest of your life and work hard for your money!

Peace and love,
Torie