Movies & TV

John Steinbeck once wrote, “What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness?”

Now, as much as I love Steinbeck, he was wrong. He may have been a literary genius, but he knew nothing about the seasons.

Winter is the worst season ever. It’s long, it’s freezing, and it’s SOOOOO BORING. I know I’ve complained about it in at least two or three other blogs but I literally cannot stop thinking about how much I hate it.

Plus, what is there to even DO during the winter?

Yeah you can go outside and play in the snow, or see the Christmas lights and decorations downtown closer to the holiday season…but that’s about all the fun things I can think of to do in the winter.

Which is why movies and TV shows have become my saving grace recently. I’m not a huge fan of television and rarely ever watch it. But this winter…things are different. I find myself actually enjoying cozying up under my blankets and escaping into the fictional world of television and film.

With this week’s blog entry, I am going to channel my inner Roger Eber and give y’all some suggestions for some new movies and TV shows that will save you from boredom. Unless you don’t like the ones I choose, which in that case would leave you feeling just as bored, maybe even more than you already were. (Sorry!!)

In no particular order:

the simpsons

-The Simpsons
I never watched this growing up because 1) I wasn’t allowed to and 2) I hated doing everything everyone else did. But my boyfriend recently introduced me to this show and I really, really enjoy it. The Simpsons isn’t your average cartoon, so don’t mistake it for that. It’s ironically (and stupidly…in a good way) funny. Not only that but their guest appearances kind of rock. Conan O’Brien and George Harrison have lent their voice talents to this show, as well as Tony Hawk & blink-182. Plus the political and cultural references will keep you laughing long after the episode ends.
*Only on DVD and the FOX network

Fight Club movie image Brad Pitt

-Fight Club
This is my favorite movie of all time but I can’t tell you about it because the first rule of Fight Club is that you do not talk about fight club. HAHA I’M SO FUNNY. But seriously. Just watch the movie.

fresh prince.
-90’s/Early 2000’s sitcoms
Seinfeld, Friends, Full House, the Fresh Prince of Bell Air, King of Queens…the list goes on and on. Bringing back memories and laughs, all at the same time.

nazis

-The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
A period piece set in WWII, about a Nazi commander’s son and his unlikely friendship with a Jewish boy locked away in an internment camp. The cinematography is beautiful, as well as the message behind it. It’s a tearjerker and the ending will leave you feeling suprisingly empty. There is no happy ending. But DO NOT let that stop you from watching it!!!

house of cards.

-House of Cards
Kevin Spacey, ‘nuff said

step brothers.

-Pineapple Express, This is the End, Step Brothers
I’m putting these altogether because they’re basically the same premise, just different story lines and actors. The main characters + funny situations + illegal substances = every Judd Apatow movie. But they never get old and will always be entertaining.

OTH

-One Tree Hill
This has to be my favorite TV show of all time. It’s indescribably good. There’s drama, love, friendship, basketball…a high school show but with a heart. There’s not a show that can compare, in my eyes, to OTH. Plus the music is AWESOME so if you’re a fan of good music, tune in. OH! And did I mention Chad Michael Murray???
*Complete series on Netflix

Happy watching!