Dorm Room Dining!

Okay guys, so this blog post is going to be about the ways in which, as a Freshmen with only one provided microwave and toaster oven for the entire hall, one can feed themselves late at night, early in the morning, or times like this, when i’m just feeling super lazy and dont want to change out of my pajamas to go to the diner.

So, there’s obviously Ramen, easy mac, oatmeal, and pretty much any other preprepared microwaveable product that would be an easy fix. However, trust me, after a while, you get sick and tired of eating pizza rolls. That’s why, the best thing you can do, is figure out when you get here what kind of things you miss eating from home and how you can recreate them! Personally, I try to make as much stuff for myself as I can because the diner food doesn’t aim to necessarily be healthy and keep my body looking hot.

Here are some of the recipes that I like:

1. Oatmeal, Peanut butter balls! I’m actaully pretty positive this is not the legitimate name but my friend amanda makes them all the time and they are great! It’s just oatmeal, peanut butter, nuts, flax seed, vanilla, honey, and anything else thrown into a bowl, mixed together and then formed into balls. This treat is a no bake, instantly ready snack that is healthy and yummy!

2. Apple slices! Okay, so I know you read that one and you’re like “yeah Danielle, you can totally eat apple slices easily and without anything other than an apple and a knife” BUT, my favorite thing to do with apple slices is put stuff on top of them. Grab some fruit from the diner and top it with peanut butter, craisins, coconut, nutella, granola, chopped nuts, etc. The possibilities are endless!

3. Cookie Dough Greek Yogurt! This one I found on pintrest way back when and it is one of my favorite deserts all time. Here’s how you make it: add 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tbsp sweetener, 1 tbsp mini chips, and 1/4 tsp vanilla to Greek yogurt. This snack tastes legitimately like cookie dough, takes 5 minutes at most to prepare, and is a lot lower calorie than real cookie dough!

4. Fruit pops! This is another thing my friend amanda and I love to do. Get some fruit, I prefer kiwi, but literally anything you want. Cut it into pieces and stick the pieces on popsicle sticks. Next, you need melted chocolate and you just coat the fruit in that. You then put the fruit covered in chocolate on wax paper in your freezer (or just turn your fridge up really high) and wait for the chocolate to harden!
5. Microwave Cheesecake! Okay, so this one i’ve only done twice and have yet to perfect it quite yet but man, the possibilities!
Here are the ingredients:
 2 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup low fat sour cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons egg white, slightly beaten (egg whites in a carton work fine)
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch (prevents liquid from forming)
and here’s the step by step directions on how to make it: http://www.2stews.com/2009/09/cheesecake-in-mug.html
6. English muffin pizza! These are so awesome! It’s like a bagel bite but better ingredients and made by yourself! All you need is an english muffin, pizza sauce, cheese, and any other toppings you enjoy. Simply throw it together like a pizza and then pop it in the toaster oven for a bit on 350, mke sure you monitor it!
There are so many other types of recipes that you can make in the dorms room with some ingredients and creativity! I hope you enjoy these recipes and let me know how they go if you try them out, and also let me know if you have any other cool recipes for me to try :)
Stay fresh and go see Divergent (a really awesome book series) tonight!!!!