Interviewing 101

Sooooo the reason why I haven’t posted in awhile is because I have been extremely busy lately. I’ve been in and out of meetings, studying for midterms, working extra shifts…but don’t feel too bad for me. I did have a little bit of fun with friends and family when I turned 21 on March 1st!! :)

Besides all of that, another thing that I have been doing lately is interviewing! Every February and March here at SXU, students begin applying to become student leaders for various departments within the university. The three main ones are Residence Life, Campus Ministry, and Campus Life. So these are your positions like Resident Assistant, Orientation Leader, Peer Minister, etc.

Myself and a few others from our OL team last summer.

Last year was my first time ever applying for something like this and thankfully, I got almost all of the jobs I applied for! What’s cool about these interviews is that they not only aide you in the process of finding an interesting job on campus, but they prepare you for the real world.
That being said, here are some of my tips that I’ve learned about interviewing over the past few years. *Disclaimer: these are based upon my own personal opinion and they may or may not work. But hopefully they do!

1) Dress Professionally
Sweatpants, jeans, gym shoes, revealing clothing, flip flops are not allowed. First appearances are everything. It’s sad to say, but people judge you based on the way that you look. Sometimes all you get is one chance to make a good impression and dressing well can convey confidence and professionalism. Dressing badly can convey laziness and immaturity.

2) Shake Hands
It looks good, just do it.

3) Answer Honestly
One of my biggest pieces of advice I can give to you is this: Do NOT tell people what you think they want to hear. I’ve been totally guilty of doing this in the past, but what I have learned over the past few years is that organizations want to hire you based on your attributes and beliefs. Not what you think they want you to portray. When you’re interviewing for a specific position, there’s about a 200% chance that the people who are asking you questions have asked that same one to about ten other people before you. So they know when people are showing them who they truly are, or are just pretending to be someone that they’re not. So just be you!

4) Take Time to Answer Questions
Don’t feel like you need to answer every question thrown your way right after it is asked. Take a moment to think it through, then start speaking. Rushing through your answers can fluster you and make you lose your train of thought.

5) Smile and Make Eye Contact
An obvious no brainer! But people sometimes forget to do these things and it really does make a huge difference

6) Just Relax and Have Fun
So you may not think having fun can actually happen while you’re in the middle of an interview, but I promise, it does. Especially if you relax and go with the flow. It’s so easy to get caught up in your nervousness and anxiety, but if you just breathe, everything just goes a lot smoother. There are less mistakes made, less awkward things said, more clarity…and who doesn’t want that??

Follow these and I promise, you will go out there and rock your interview!

Look at those awesome student leaders!

Don’t these awesome people make you want to be a student leader??