So This Is What Adulthood Feels Like

In just a few weeks I will finally be turning 21. As this milestone approaches, I’ve been thinking a lot about adulthood. I suppose legally you become an adult at 18, some say you really become an adult when you move away from home. In my experience,  its been a gradual transition. The funny thing about it is, sometimes you don’t even notice it’s happening. However, I’ve discovered that there a few, humorous moments where I realized that I was becoming an adult and I would like to share those with you.

The 10 moments that made me realize I was an adult:

1. Last Christmas when  I received an electric toothbrush as a gift…and I was excited about it.

2. When I started to love candles. I used to think a candle was such a terribly boring gift and now I  even buy them for myself. My friends and I went to the mall last week and spent a good 20 minutes in the Yankee Candle store.

3. When I got strep throat last November and I had to take myself to doctor and then walk myself to the pharmacy to get my prescription…in the rain. You think you want independence until you get sick and your Mom isn’t around.

4. When I started going to bed somewhere between 9:30 and 10:30 pm every night. Responsibility really wears you out!

5. When I woke up early on a Saturday morning specifically to clean my kitchen…and simultaneously realized I had become my mother.

6. When I started checking my bank account more than I check my Facebook account.

7. When I started looking at the price tag on everything before I even thought about buying it. Shopping with your own money is a completely different ball game.

8. When I experienced the joy of receiving a paycheck.

9. When I started bringing a jacket everywhere…just in case.

10. When I realized I had a list for everything. A grocery list, a cleaning list, a homework list, a list of upcoming events….you get the picture.

meme

About Bridget Goedke

Hi everyone! I am currently a Senior communication major at Saint Xavier University! This is my second year blogging for the Cougar Diaries and I am very excited to continue sharing my story! I tend to blog a lot about my classes, happenings in and around SXU, my relationship with my identical twin sister, my family and friends and anything that I can't seem to get out of my head! I am graduating in May and preparing myself for life outside of SXU. So I invite you to join me as I embark on the final lap of my college career!