Just Another Week of College

IMG_1100Hey everyone, so you know how when you’re a freshman you don’t really know what’s going on? Well I made my first real freshman mistake by saying that last week was midterms…. And then I realized it’s like three weeks long… It makes me sad.. But hopefully everyone is still doing well? This week was a pretty busy week! On Tuesday we had an education meeting for first-years, and we were finally able to get into the details about the different grade levels and options for teaching. I realized that I really wanted to be Middle School Education Major (grades 5-8) with endorsements in Literature, Reading, and Social Studies. I also got to add E.S.L. and Bilingual Studies! I am really excited for my future to unravel! (Group of friends going to the Greater Chicago Food Depository shown on right).

Wednesday eveningIMG_1103 I had the opportunity to work at the Greater Chicago Food Depository, which is a non-profit organization dedicated to supplying and storing food for homeless shelters and bread trucks! In our group of about 75 people (which included SXU students, church members, and community members) we prepared about 25,000 lbs of food. The winning side prepared 16,000 lbs of pears. Naturally, this side had the SXU students working. After getting back from my hours volunteering, half of my family surprised me with hugs and food after they drove all the way from Minnesota! That was pretty awesome, they were able to stay until Sunday afternoon! (SXU group of students that attended the Greater Chicago Food Depository on Wednesday evening).

On Friday morning, I woke up early at 5 a.m. to go and stand in solidarity with the families that were being broken apart IMG_1127because of the immigration system. We went to Broadview Detention Center; it was about a forty-five minute drive from our school and we prayed for the families in both Spanish and English. Seeing all the small children who had to goodbye to their parents was heart breaking, and the knowledge that I could easily be like them, saying my last goodbye was difficult. For those of you who don’t know, here’s some facts about immigration: it costs $40,000 of taxpayer money to deport just one person. The government deports people every Friday and Saturday morning at Broadview Detention Center. They wear chains on feet, hands, and neck linking them to each other, and are treated like murderers when most of them have come here for a new beginning. 1,100 people in America are deported every day. One of the people who was also attending for the first time said that he lives five minutes away from the detention center and never knew it was there, and that nowIMG_1124 he was terrified by the thoughts of his family being deported. 100,000 children have lost at least one parent to deportation in the last ten years. 400,000 undocumented immigrants were detained and deported from the US in 2011 alone. There are over 400,000 undocumented immigrants in the detention centers in the U.S. at all times. This is a broken system. The buses that take people away have someone’s father and mother on board. They are people. If you are looking for more information go to: http://advocacydays.org/advocacy/faithful-budget-campaign/ , http://migrationpolicy.org/ , http://www.sistersofmercy.org/ – click on “How We Serve Justice Immigration/Migration”. I really could not be more proud to attend a school with so much focus on helping all humans, including immigrants. Being able to learn from the Sisters of Mercy and see how they serve so many is inspiring.(First picture is the large group of SXU students who attended, we had the largest group of students there. Second picture, if you look closely to the picture with the white bus, you can see a baby in a hat, Friday she had to say goodbye to one of her parents).

Friday evening I was able to have fun with some friends of mine doing the .08K Fun Run! Overall, it was fun promoting the awareness of sobriety! We got to do a short run across the football field to win tickets to free food trucks and games! My family from Minnesota even participated! The food was amazing, and the activities they had set up letting you learn what it felt like to “drive” under the influence were really fun! (My great group of friends and little brother who did the run!)IMG_1150

Saturday afternoon I got to be apart of my first college orchestra concert! It was the High School’s Honors Concert which had some of the high schools from our community playing with the SXU Symphony Orchestra! It was a great concert and was really exciting getting to play with the high schoolers! Miguel, our senior, principal cellist as well as a pre-health major, couldn’t find his black shirt so he borrowed one from me! Even though we missed the group picture seeing him struggle trying to get one of my shirts on was worth it! And really – don’t we just look adorable?IMG_1168dinner

On Sunday morning, after getting brunch with my family, we had to say goodbye so they could begin the trip back to Minnesota.. As always, it was a sad goodbye. But, I get to see them for Thanksgiving! Counting down the days till Thanksgiving Break! (Here to the right is a picture of half of my family that could come: from left to right: Brittany: my roommate, me, my mom, my brother :Emiliano, my sister :Maya, and my Grandpa!)