Spicing Up My Weekends

Hello readers! I’ve been having a wonderful weekend and I hope you have as well. I was lucky enough to have my big sister staying with me here at Saint Xavier this weekend. It was so nice to have her company and show her what it’s like to be a cougar for a few days! I did not have anything extravagant planned for our weekend, but we managed to have a really nice time in and around this area which can sometimes be hard to do. That being said, I wanted to share some of my favorite low-cost, low-effort, low-stress weekend activities for college students in this area and beyond!

10698685_10153296005084128_4093611519513008281_n

My roommates and I enjoying our face masks. Limited face movement, but unlimited fun!

-Spa Night – On Friday, my roommates and I decided to do our own face masks and spend a quiet night at home to unwind from a chaotic week. When it comes to planning a spa night at home, Pinterest is your best friend (well, Pinterest is always my best friend). ┬áThere’s plenty of simply face mask recipes that are natural and inexpensive. So, couple that with DIY manicures and pedicures and you’ve got yourself a spa…and endless laughs once you see yourself wearing a face mask.

-Go out to eat or to a bar – Saturday night, I took my sisters and our best friends to Francesca’s on 95th. Now, this restaurant is definitely more of a splurge, but it’s necessary to do that every once in a while. They’ve got a very nice bar (if you’re 21 or over) and absolutely delicious Italian food. It’s about a fifteen minute drive from Saint Xavier and more than worth the money. Check it out! Some of my other favorite places so far (once again, for those that are 21) include 115 Bourbon Street in Merrionette Park and Grape and Grain in Homewood for those of you that live on the far south side.

-Cook or bake – If you’re living in the dorms like me, cooking and baking are almost impossible. However, my friends and I have come up with a few fun ways to escape diner food for a day or two. We bought ourselves a very inexpensive crock pot that is capable of cooking everything from soup to pulled pork. As a I previously mentioned, Pinterest is your best friend. Simply type in crock pot recipes and see what you get! In addition, we have a small fondue pot. We’ve had a lot of fun making fondue and there’s more options than you would think. You can use cheese, chocolate and even oil to cook meat. It takes little to no time to prepare and it’s about as fun as dinner can be!

02114bEnjoy the rest of your weekend!

About Bridget Goedke

Hi everyone! I am currently a Senior communication major at Saint Xavier University! This is my second year blogging for the Cougar Diaries and I am very excited to continue sharing my story! I tend to blog a lot about my classes, happenings in and around SXU, my relationship with my identical twin sister, my family and friends and anything that I can't seem to get out of my head! I am graduating in May and preparing myself for life outside of SXU. So I invite you to join me as I embark on the final lap of my college career!