It’s Beginning to Look A Lot Like Finals

Ah, there’s a chill in the air, you’re assignments are piling up, you’ve gotten a total of 10 hours of sleep this week and there’s a constant sense of impending doom…must be getting close to finals week! ¬†As a communications major, my finals tend to consist of mostly projects and papers rather than lengthy exams, but it has always been stressful nonetheless. Because of the nature of our final projects and papers, it is really more of a finals month rather than a finals week for comm majors. This year, I am fortunate enough to have a wicked combination of projects, papers AND exams that will decide my fate come the end of the semester.

Student-Studying

This December will mark my fifth round of finals as a college student so I’ve developed a few ways to manage my stress around finals season that I figured I would share with those of you who might be a little more new at this or are just feeling the pressure right about now. Here they are:

-Plan – I can’t stress organization enough. Know what is due, when it’s due and try to predict how much time you’ll need to complete it. Then, make yourself a detailed schedule and stick to it, it is the only way you won’t drown in the massive wave that is finals week.

-Ask Questions – Do not hesitant to ask your professor to be specific about assignments and exams. Knowing exactly what they expect will ensure that you do not waste time studying or working on something that will not show up on the exam. Every minute counts!

-Eat and Sleep – It may seem like I don’t need to remind you do the two basic things that your body requires, but trust me, when you’re stressed and busy, those needs can fall by the wayside. I prefer to wake up early to study or work on projects rather than “pulling an all nighter” because it is scientifically proven that your brain is more active and effective in the morning after you’ve rested. You’re studying and your final products will be of better quality if you get the rest an nourishment you require.

-Leave time do something fun every day – Plan a few hours to take a break every day. Your brain is going to need it. Don’t feel like you’re a bad student if you put away the books for a while, it will actually benefit you. So watch something stupid and mindless on tv, hang out with your friends, go to a restaurant, get some exercise, whatever you like to do!

Here’s to hoping that everyone’s next few weeks are a success…or at least not a disaster! Good luck!

About Bridget Goedke

Hi everyone! I am currently a Senior communication major at Saint Xavier University! This is my second year blogging for the Cougar Diaries and I am very excited to continue sharing my story! I tend to blog a lot about my classes, happenings in and around SXU, my relationship with my identical twin sister, my family and friends and anything that I can't seem to get out of my head! I am graduating in May and preparing myself for life outside of SXU. So I invite you to join me as I embark on the final lap of my college career!