Getting Back Into the Swing of Things

Welcome back to school cougars and welcome back to my blog!

I had a very relaxing and restful break full of family time, naps and the absence of school work (that was by far the best part). I ended first semester with a 4.0 which set me up for a nice break and wonderful holiday season.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am a resident student at Saint Xavier University. This means my breaks are spent at home with my family in the south suburbs and during the academic year I reside in a dorm on Saint Xavier’s campus. I have loved living on campus for the most part. Its a great way to get the full college experience, make new friends and gain some independence.

However, I have a tendency to get a little homesick now and again. I felt similarly as I traveled back to campus this weekend. Despite the fact that I’ve been living away from home for about two and a half years now, leaving home is still pretty difficult. The first week back to work and school after a long break is always an adjustment week, for everyone. Sometimes I feel like I live two seperate lives and the transition between the two (no matter how many times I do it) always seems to be a little rocky. I am sure other students that traveled away from home for college can relate.

On top of changing my living situation once again, this week marks the beginning of a schedule full of brand new classes and brand new homework, projects, papers and tests. I’ve noticed that the first few days of class always leave me feeling little overwhelmed. It is difficult to adjust to new professors, teaching styles and expectations and at the very least its a lot of new information. You may find yourself learning about subjects that you have never even heard of let alone mastered. So to start this new semester I”ll share a quote that always gives me a little peace of mind when I feel baffled by new courses.

“The expert at anything was once a beginner.” – Helen Hayes

I hope everyone has a productive first week and a smooth adjustment! Time to hit the books!

About Bridget Goedke

Hi everyone! I am currently a Senior communication major at Saint Xavier University! This is my second year blogging for the Cougar Diaries and I am very excited to continue sharing my story! I tend to blog a lot about my classes, happenings in and around SXU, my relationship with my identical twin sister, my family and friends and anything that I can't seem to get out of my head! I am graduating in May and preparing myself for life outside of SXU. So I invite you to join me as I embark on the final lap of my college career!