Back To the Basics

Hello everyone, I hope you all had a great week! This week has been the beginning of Lent, for those of you who do not know what lent is, lent is the season that many Christians focus on simple living, prayer, and fasting in hope of growing closer to God. Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and goes till Easter Sunday, for Catholics this involves no meat on Ash Wednesdayash wednesday and on Friday’s. Many people give up something for lent, like chocolate, ice cream, or their favorite people. But there is also the option of taking on something, this year I decided to take on “thinking before I speak,” trying not to swear, talk about people, or really just speaking when it isn’t necessary. I also am taking on praying every day. Now Lent is supposed to show us that what we have given up or took on is or isn’t needed in our life, so that after Easter we don’t have the habit that we had once had before. Lent is a time for us to reflect on what is going on in our lives, our own faith, how much we give, or serve. For those who believe they give already, try and give more. For those who serve often, serve more. There is no such thing as giving or helping too much. So good luck to all who are taking part in Lent!

For those of you who are interested in deepening your own faith in the Chapel we have both men and women prayer groups throughout the week. I personally attend one with Sister Carol and it has been a life changing experience, it only meets for half an hour so people can go back to their busy lives, but it has helped me so much in my own faith. If you are looking for times for the Women’s prayer group it meets Tuesdays at 2:00 p.m., Thursdays at 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., Fridays at 11:00 a.m. And for the men’s meets on Monday’s at 2:00p.m. All faiths are welcomed!ice cream

This Wednesday I got to third wheel it with my roommate and her boyfriend to dinner of noodles and company following the Plush Horse. Both super good but it being my first time at the Plush Horse was amazing, for those of you who don’t know about the Plush Horse, all of the ice cream is homemade and so yummyyyyyyyyyy. It was pure happiness.

This Thursday M.S.P.J. hosted the documentary abUSed: The Postville Raid which focused on the deportation of nearly 400 immigrants that were working at a meat packaging plant. The documentary talked about the broken immigration systembroadview bus that we have and the effects of deporting people, not only for their families, but also their community. Do watch the movie, it is very informational and powerful. The following morning M.S.P.J. also lend a group of students to Broadview Deportation Center, when though that Friday was extremely cold, I couldn’t get myself to sleep in and decided to go even though I just wanted more sleep. I also was able to get my roommate to come with for her first time ever! Even though I go every month, and I feel as though I should be use to attending, I can’t be, it always affects me. As a daughter to an immigrant I cannot imagine bringing my dad a suitcase of his belongings. How can one pack their life into a suitcase? How do you know what to pack? How can one goodbye last forever? It canbus’t. This week the door that normally had a couple of families inside that were bringing suitcases was so filled they couldn’t shut the door. Showing the families support by praying in English and Spanish as we shivered in the cold. It just feels too unreal. As families would leave crying knowing that they might never see their father, brother, sister, mother, daughter, and son. It’s broken. This “system is beyond broken. As we were leaving in our own bus, the bus that would separate these families forever also came. It was a silent drive back.

orchestraFriday evening Jon and I did go to Symphony Hall to go and see the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra. The Hall was more beautiful then I rememberejon and i in th ered dressd previously being there before. The music sounded amazing as well. Our seats were also pretty amazing for student tickets! Each ticket was $15, but we had the belief it was going to be nose bleeders! But we weren’t at all! Our tickets were amazing! So students, go on the Chicago Symphony Hall website and look for student tickets! I hope everyone has a good week and good luck to everyone with midterms around the corner!