Spring…Where Are You?

I hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend!

This weekend, I traveled home once again to take care of some things and visit family. I also had the pleasure (I hope you can hear my sarcasm through the internet) of working on my honors fieldwork project. The experience itself has been very valuable, but putting together any type of major project is always a bit stressful.

As an honors student here at Saint Xavier, we are required to complete a fieldwork project of our choosing during our junior year. This means that we must, as you can probably infer, get some experience in our field and then submit some kind of product that displays some what we’ve learned. Some people choose to do research, some do internships or job shadowing. I chose to use my work as an editor at the school’s newspaper, the Xavierite, as my fieldwork experience.

My final project is due in just a few days so I’ve spent a great deal of time this weekend clipping my newspaper articles, organizing them and compiling them neatly into a professional portfolio. It has been a lot of tedious work, but I’ve noticed some major benefits. While sifting through dozens of my own articles I got a chance to read some of the stuff I’ve written and see how far I’ve come since I began writing for the paper my freshman year. It is not often that you get to see all of your work compiled like that and the improvement is tangible and visible. It’s a good feeling!

I also recognized that this portfolio is going to be a very useful tool for me moving forward in my career search. After this project, I will be able to take this portfolio with me to job interviews as a sample of my published materials. I am a big supporter of projects that students will be able to reuse later in their career, it makes the work you put into it seem so much more valuable and worth the time.

On a lighter note, I had my first AMC movie theater experience last week! My friends and I ventured to the AMC in Chicago Ridge for a movie and had a great time! The seats in this theater are roomy and comfortable recliners. This was certainly something I had never experienced before and now that I have, I don’t think I can ever go back to regular theater seats! If you plan on taking a trip to the Chicago Ridge AMC, I would recommend buying your tickets online. We bought our tickets in advance and were able to select our seats to ensure that we were front and center. Once you get there, you pick up your tickets at the kiosk and walk right in, it saves so much time!

Here’s to another week! I’m crossing my fingers with the hope that Chicago will see some warmer weather! Think warm thoughts!

garden

About Bridget Goedke

Hi everyone! I am currently a Senior communication major at Saint Xavier University! This is my second year blogging for the Cougar Diaries and I am very excited to continue sharing my story! I tend to blog a lot about my classes, happenings in and around SXU, my relationship with my identical twin sister, my family and friends and anything that I can't seem to get out of my head! I am graduating in May and preparing myself for life outside of SXU. So I invite you to join me as I embark on the final lap of my college career!