So This is Goodbye

As it is the evening before finals week and knowing that this time next week I will be home, I feel as though there are some “thank-yous” that I need to say to those who made my freshman year so great.

To begin with, I want to thank SXU, I want to thank the students, faculy and staff who made this place home.

pres

I never thought that being away from home, I would ever feel so at home like I do here. I am amazed at how much the staff strives to make each class as great as possible. It fills me with happiness to say that the staff, the people that clean and work so hard to keep things nice, by them just saying hello can just make my day. I can’t help but believe that this positive attitude starts with President Wiseman. For example, this last week the President of SXU served a free lunch to students. The way she welcomes guest speakers, seeing her interact with the student body, and watching her welcome those visiting campus just seems like so much more than her job description. Her positive attitude it clearly just part of the great person that she is.

I want to give a quick thank you to Laura Richardella, the lovely woman who hired me as an awkward little freshman in August, having some kind of belief in me that I would be able to write something every week for the Cougar Dairies. I would just like to say thank you for giving me the opportunity to tell my week to week college life and share that with the rest of the student body and SXU community.

I want to thank the SXU Campus Ministry, from Sister Carol and Sister Christa who lead weekly women’s prayer group, to the RPM’s and PM (Resident Peer Ministers, and Peer Ministers), to Tom and Dennis for getting me involved in the Bread Truck and information about service throughout the years.IMG_0828 To my Quest family, I appreciate the bond that we created in the beginning of the fall and having such a great group of people that started the year off so right. A special thank you to Mike, who is such an amazing person that is strong and such a loyal friend. I feel blessed to have you in my life. And to Tara, “my best friend” in campus ministry, to all the times you have made me laugh, I am so excited to be RPM’s with you next fall.

To my lovely roommate Brittany, thinking back to the beginning of the year and seeing how much we have both changed is.. well… I’m impressed with us, and hey, we made it!the B's and I I can’t believe how fast this year has went by and you were always by my side. From our talks as we were getting ready for bed, to somehow staying up ’til three in the morning talking, it’s something that I will miss next year. To me, you will always be my favorite roommate and although you are going to be living with our friend Breezy next year, it’s okay, I know in the inside I will always be your favorite too.

improvvvvThank you Netflix, for keeping Brit and I sane throughout the year, and for letting us bond over you. And Improv, thanks for the laughs, the last show was by far my favorite. Seniors, you did a great show and will be missed!

Miguel, please don’t graduate in less than a week, you have been such a great mentor support system for me this first year. I don’t know what I will do without you in orchestra. Like seriously. I wish you weren’t leaving, but I know you will do such great things in the world.

A “thank you” to Darlene and Ivan. Darlene is my Confirmation Sponsor back home in Minnesota, and whenever I am home, I would get to have breakfast or brunch with her. Getting to hear her story, of her, her family and her life, is something I’ve missed while away at college. Before leaving, I got to have breakfast with Darlene while her husband Ivan was out and about close by. They were both so excited about me heading off to college. Hearing about how proud they were of me, helped me believe that I could do this. Ivan, even though you aren’t with us anymore, I know that you know all about my first year of college.

My family, I want to thank my best friend, my sister Maya, who helped me go through with going to college away from home. If it wasn’t for you telling me why I should go, I probably couldn’t have went through with it.IMG_0410 To my little brother and youngest sister who always seem to bring a smile to my face, and seeing them grow; it amazes me. A thank you to my family out in Colorado, although I’m not going to school by you guys, you all were still so supportive of my decision and I love you all!

Grandpa, thank you, just for everything, for not only helping me, but our family. Thank you for all the silly joke emails that you send me to the educational articles. For always being willing to help, even when I didn’t know I needed it. And sometimes, most importantly thank you for saying how proud you are, and how proud Grandma would be of me. I miss her so much and just wish I could tell her all about how great college is like she always said it would be.

SONY DSCJon, thank you for keeping me sane, thank you for always being there for me. Thank you for understanding me when I don’t. Thank you for all the help in math or whatever the subject is and reminding me that I do know what I am doing, for reminding me that dropping out of college, when I have all A’s doesn’t make sense, and how once my hard work is done,it will all be worth it. Most importantly, thank you for being you.

To my Papi, thank you for as you so claim, giving me life. Thank you for raising me to know what hard work is, to teach me how to strive to do more.10472772_10152504120149031_7211664648222740597_n For showing me how important college is although you weren’t able to attend. Thank you for teaching me that the most important thing in life is to be happy, which is something I will always strive for. Thank you for picking up your phone whenever I call and having the conversations I think you always hoped we would, and now how much closer we are now.

And lastly to my Mami.. I’m tired after all this writing so, thanks mom!

Just kidding, love you momma! Thank you for being the most supportive person in my life. For pushing me to be better, leave home and attend the college of my dreams. You knew it was my dream school before I did! SONY DSCThank you for teaching me the importance of service and helping people and thank you for always listening to whatever the worry I had on my mind. You never made me feel as though it was unimportant. I guess it’s really impossible to say all the thank you’s to your mom, because there is really just so much they do. But thank you Mami, for being my biggest fan, to loving me unconditionally, and I guess to giving me life, that was cool. Picture with my grandpa and momma!

And to everyone else who helped make my first year at SXU, thank you. I’m sorry I didn’t include you, but I really should be getting to bed. Good luck to everyone on finals week! Have a great summer of warmth! To those who are graduating, congratulations and you will be missed!