The Final Lap

Hi everyone,

I write this blog as a break from working on final projects. Yes, a break. I have been staring at a computer screen for hours now, something I have become accustomed to over the past few years. I am sure many other SXU students are finding themselves in the same position right about now. With several deadlines approaching, the pressure is on.

I will be done with finals by Wednesday so I plan to pack up and leave campus early on Thursday. It is always a bittersweet feeling driving away from campus for the summer. It seems unusual to call two different places home, but that is what many college students experience. It is almost like living a double life. I am beyond excited to have a break from classes and spend some quality time with my family, but I am sure by the time August rolls around I’ll be itching to get back to Saint Xavier and reunite with my fellow cougars.

As somewhat of a last hoorah, my friends and I walked up and down Western Ave. last night hitting several different pubs and restaurants along the way. I had my first dining experience at Horse Thief Hollow which is an awesome restaurant and brewery that offers a unique experience and excellent food. We enjoyed the live entertainment and rustic decor. I will certainly be heading back there soon.

Pulled Pork Nachos from Horse Thief Hollow

I also rewarded myself for completing (or almost completing) another semester of college by getting a tattoo. Now believe me, I am not much of a tattoo person at all. In fact, before college I never saw myself as the type of person that would get a tattoo, but this one felt right. As many of you know, my father passed away suddenly almost two years ago. I came across the Celtic symbol for the father-daughter relationship on the internet a few months back and I knew it was fate. The legend behind the symbol tells the story of Brighid, who sat by her dying father and weaved a symbol from sticks. She explained to her father that the symbol represents how, just as they are intertwined, so too are we intertwined with those who follow in the afterlife.

The symbol seemed like a perfect representation of my relationship with my father and a nice way to remember him, one that I can have with me at all times.

I guess you can say I ended my year with quite a bang! I hope everyone has enjoyed reading the journey of my junior year as much as I have enjoyed sharing it with you. Here’s to a summer filled with relaxation and quality memories. Until we meet in cougtown once again!

About Bridget Goedke

Hi everyone! I am currently a Senior communication major at Saint Xavier University! This is my second year blogging for the Cougar Diaries and I am very excited to continue sharing my story! I tend to blog a lot about my classes, happenings in and around SXU, my relationship with my identical twin sister, my family and friends and anything that I can't seem to get out of my head! I am graduating in May and preparing myself for life outside of SXU. So I invite you to join me as I embark on the final lap of my college career!