Isn’t it Beautiful Outside?

Hey SXU community! My name is Genesis Garcia Fisher, this is my second year at Saint Xavier University, and second year writing for the Cougar Diaries! A little bit about me:11885767_1038054209580792_2894962491218594618_o I’m a sophomore Middle School Education Major with endorsements in Language Arts, Reading, Social Studies, and will be adding an endorsement in ESL Studies. I am a resident, so I live on campus! I am a Resident Peer Minister (RPM) in Regina Hall working with first year students, and completely love my third floor girls! I am also a Transition Peer Mentor (TPM) this class helps first year student’s transition into college. I love working with these talented students as well!

I am also involved in Mercy Students for Peace and Justice (MSPJ) I hold the position of Immigration Head Committee. MSPJ is an awesome student organization at SXU that explores social justice issues. By doing so, we answer the call of our fundamental human concern for our world following the example of what our school is founded on, the Sisters of Mercy. With a focus on the critical concerns of the Sisters of Mercy: racism, women, immigration, nonviolence, and environment.

In case you wanted to know more that I was involved in, I am a Student Ambassador Tour Guide, and so I give tours here at SXU! Monday’s at 10 just in case you want one? Being a tour guide is fun and I love working with perspective students. I also am the President of National Society Collegiate Scholars! And also the Secretary for Safe Zone at SXU, which is our LGBTQ and allies’ organization that strives to create a safe environment for all students. And I play the cello as well! Overall have a whole lot going on but loving everything that I do!

11221941_901252769910913_6130000811913582324_nSo this past week I was able to go to Philadelphia to see Pope Francis first visit to the United States, and it was completely amazing, not only was the actual action of being less than 15 feet away from him (I repeat yes, I was less than 15 feet away from him) but the group of SXU students who attending made it so much better! We stayed at Gwynedd Mercy University in Pennsylvania with multiple different Sister of Mercy schools which was really cool because we really got to know other students all over the country. It was an amazing trip and I miss the beautiful mountains (Okay I guess they’re hills but still…) the nature and beautiful environment. It was a day that I will never forget…

And now we are entering week six and I have a tons of homework and studying to get up to speed on. Which is just awesome… But that’s just how it goes! I hope that I at least sparked some interest to keep reading for future weeks!