October Movie Review: The Evil Dead Series

It’s finally my favorite month of the year: October! Nothing like autumn leaves falling from the trees, nice weather, and my personal favorite, Spookiness! I love Halloween and will always love it. It’s the only time of the year where gore is accepted and you get to dress ugly on purpose. Okay, maybe not everyday. However, it’s still a pretty fun month overall. With spirit of Halloween, I think we should do a horror movie review! Let’s take a look at my favorite Horror movie series of all time. The Evil Dead!

url

No, I’m not talking about that garbage of a remake that was released in 2013(Just kidding, it was actually okay)I’m talking about the original one that came out in 1981. The story is the same as the remake. A group of Teenagers go to a cabin in the middle of nowhere and find an evil book by the name of the Necronomicon which is the book of the dead. They also find a recording of a man reciting the evil prayers to summon the evil spirits that the book brings to life. The main character Ash, played by the one and only Bruce Campbell. soon finds most of his friends possessed by the evil spirits that were summoned by the book and it doesn’t turn out too well. I won’t spoil the rest because I feel that if you’re a fan of horror movies, this is a must watch. Yeah, the effects look cheesy, but in my opinion that’s what makes them scarier. We’ve become too dependent of CGI that people forgot that even the simplest stuff can be scary.

url

Now seeing that there’s a sequel, I’m sure you can tell that Ash survived the first one. But for some reason, he decided to go back to the same Cabin and with a new girlfriend. Jeez, you’d think he would have learned from the first movie? Well, this movie can get a lot of mixed reviews. Fun fact! The famous saying “Dead by Dawn” in this movie is also the title of song by the Death Metal band Deicide which in respects is a tribute song to this movie. Again, this movie is a mixed feelings one. Some people love it, some people hate it. I personally love it. If you love the first one, this one is just as great of a movie. However, I will warn you that this movie has a little more of comedic side to it instead of full horror. But as long as you don’t take it too seriously, I’m sure it’s a movie that is definitely enjoyable.

url

Last but definitely not least, Army of Darkness! This movie is very different from the last two. I wouldn’t say it’s a horror movie either. It’s more of an action movie. To be honest I didn’t really like it at first. But I decided to give it a couple more tries and now it’s one of my favorite movies of all time. This is a direct follow up to The Evil Dead 2 and it seems kind of strange how Ash ends up in the medieval times. Yeah, it sounds really really weird and not like an Evil Dead movie but trust me, if you just give it a chance you may like it. So if you have nothing better to do on Halloween, why don’t you give these movies a try. I’m sure you’ll love them as I do myself. Well have a Happy October everyone! 20 more days until Halloween and still counting!

About Francisco Torres

Just your average metal-head who reads comics books and plays video games. I love being alone, but I love talking and initiating conversations with others. There's a lot of things that I still don't know about myself, but I'm willing to go on journey to discover what those things are.