“What are you going to do after graduation?”

Welcome back, readers!

I wish I could say that I had the most fantasitc and productive week ever, but alas, very few noteworthy things have occured since I last blogged.

As mentioned in my previous blog, I turned 22 on Wednesday! I suppose that’s an event, although I’ve come to realize that the older you get, the less birthdays are really celebrated. If you ask me, it should be the other way around. Making it through a year of childhood is a blessing indeed, but making it through a year of adulthood is a victory. That is something to celebrate.

Just a couple of 22 year-olds!

Just a couple of 22 year-olds!

I did get to venture home this weekend to celebrate with my family. Our plans didn’t pan out exactly how we intended (nothing ever does), but we made the best of it. I got to hug my nephews and have most of my family all in one place and it seems that this matters to me more than anything else as an adult.

On Saturday afternoon, we did a couple of quick, fun, fall activities at Undead Acres (see previous blog for details on this great establishment) and then we hung out at home and ate some birthday cake. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in my 22 years it’s that you have to cherish little moments like this. A quote that I have been TRYING to apply to my life recently comes to mind, “Every day may not be good, but there is something good in every day.”

Sitting with our nephews at Undead Acres

That being said, registration for Spring Semester is upon us here at SXU which means all students have to meet with their academic advisors and get approved to register in the coming weeks. It has occured to me that this will be my final registeration for college classes and it has everyone and their mother asking me, “So what are you going to do after graduation?” And the only concrete answer I have to that question is “I don’t know.” That answer will most likely be accompanied by a detectable hint of shame as if I have come all this way and exercised and expanded my mind only to come up empty handed. You would think after four years of study I would have everything figured out, but that’s just not the case. I attribute this uncertainty partially to the nature of the major and partially to my personality. A lot of majors lead right into a specific career, for example, my sister is an elementary education major, so when someone asks her, “what are you going to do after graduation?” she can, with a good degree of certainty, say “be a teacher.”  As a communication major, I will be qualified and trained to do a wide range of things. To give you an idea of what I mean, here is a list of the concentrations I will have completed by the time I grab my diploma in May:

• Journalism
  • Online Communication
  • Advertising and Public Relations
  • Communication Studies
  • Health Communication
  • Corporate Communication.

I could give you some general areas of interest I have, but even those change from time to time. I wish I had a clearer path at this point, but I’m anticipating a period of trial and error after I graduate and I think that’s o.k. I think as humans, especially as college students, we interpret a lack of direction as failure, but when you really think about it, trying different things until you get it right is the way you’ve learned everything you know now, from first steps to college degrees. So if you ask me that question, believe me when I say “I don’t know.”

Depsite all of this uncertainty, I am confident in what I have accomplished so far and everything I do, including this blog. It gives me a little more experience and a little more insight as to what my future might hold.

Thank you for bearing with me as usual!

Until next time…

About Bridget Goedke

Hi everyone! I am currently a Senior communication major at Saint Xavier University! This is my second year blogging for the Cougar Diaries and I am very excited to continue sharing my story! I tend to blog a lot about my classes, happenings in and around SXU, my relationship with my identical twin sister, my family and friends and anything that I can't seem to get out of my head! I am graduating in May and preparing myself for life outside of SXU. So I invite you to join me as I embark on the final lap of my college career!