Thanksgiving for a Metalhead

IMG_20151127_185847

I can’t really complain about my Thanksgiving this year. It is a shame, however, that Pizza Hut was closed during the holiday because I actually ordered a pizza on that day online. I was so eager to get it. I waited all night for it but didn’t read the email that I got for them saying I wasn’t going to get the pizza until the next day. Oh, well. I couldn’t really complain because I ended up having pizza for breakfast on the day of seeing two of my favorite Metal Bands, King Diamond and Exodus. So it was a win-win no matter how I look at it.

IMG_20151127_185750

Throughout the entire day I just waited and waited to leave my house so I could go to the train station and make my way to the Aragon Ballroom. It’s still shocking to me that it has been two years since I went because the last show I attended there was Lamb Of God with Testament, Killswitch Engage, and Huntress. I was a junior in high school at the time and that was the first time I went to a big show like that. My nostalgic senses were tingling when I had to wait out in the venue again just like the last time I went. It felt nice.

Exodus_-_Fabulous_Disaster

Finally, once I got inside the venue, I made sure that I got a spot right in the front. I love being in the front. It let’s me witness more of the action of the band. What I especially loved about this show was that there were only two bands playing. I don’t mind opening acts, but the fact that we went straight into the show was awesome to me. Exodus opened for the King and I was really happy about that because not only is Exodus one of my favorite thrash metal bands ever, it just felt so good to finally see them. It was a shame however, that Gary Holt, their original lead guitarist and one of the founding members of the band, was not on tour with them because he’s touring with Slayer at the moment. How lame. I get to see my favorite band but I can’t witness the master of riffs himself? Bummer. I recognized all their songs from Bonded By Blood to Black List. But the highlight for me was that when they played the Toxic Waltz. The Toxic Waltz is pretty much the theme song for moshing. There’s no better song to mosh to than that song. As soon as Zetro, the lead singer, announced it I found myself running to the pit area just to get a taste of the pit myself and I loved every moment of it. Even when I fell hard on my knees, I got up and kept going. There was a guy in the middle recording the whole thing and I kept singing along with the song. I hope he uploads it to YouTube soon so I can look back on how happy I was at that show.

Once Exodus finished I had to wait an hour for King Diamond to play. But boy was it worth it. Once King Diamond was ready, we heard a loud creepy piano hitting notes on the higher octave and right away everyone knew it was the intro to Welcome Home. What I especially love about King Diamond is that his albums have a story behind it. In the album “Them”, it tells the story of an evil grandmother who has been released from the asylum to visit her family. The best part about King Diamond live is that he has actors portraying the characters from his stories. So yes, the evil grandma was on stage. She looked creepy, but it was freaking awesome. But the performance was mainly to play his album titled “Abigail” which is my personal favorite album by him. I don’t really want to get into the story that much because I’d rather you all listen to the album.

This was the best show I’ve been to this year hands down. It was extremely loud, but don’t worry I didn’t go deaf. I still can’t believe I got to see my favorite metal singer of all time! Hopefully he makes another tour for next year. I will definitely be there!

About Francisco Torres

Just your average metal-head who reads comics books and plays video games. I love being alone, but I love talking and initiating conversations with others. There's a lot of things that I still don't know about myself, but I'm willing to go on journey to discover what those things are.