So, what’s next for you?

Welcome back,

I have another week of classes under my belt and that is no easy task considering the Chicago winter sometimes makes it nearly impossible for me to step outside my apartment door. I have lived in the Chicagoland area my entire life, but being at Saint Xavier for the past four years has made me quite familiar with its extreme and fluctuating weather…more familiar than I ever wanted to be.

I do have a car here on campus, but I share it with my sister, who, as I have mentioned in previous blogs, is also a senior at Saint Xavier and is currently student teaching in Chicago Ridge. This renders me car-less Monday through Friday, unfortunately. For those that aren’t familiar with the layout of campus, the University owned apartment building that I live in currently is close to campus, but not nearly close enough to walk to campus for class in this frigid weather. Luckily, the school provides a shuttle service to and from my building so I have been taking advantage of that in recent weeks. Future freshman, I am proof that even if you are not bringing a car with you to campus, there are plenty of ways to get around. I have provided a link to the shuttle schedule below!

This is about the time of the year when seniors start hearing the panic-inducing “So what’s next for you?” from just about everyone. I just updated my resume and cover letter recently and started applying for jobs (I strongly suggest a visit to Career Services if you’re struggling with your resume).

What I have learned so far is that this process can be pretty discouraging. When you find a position you think you might be interested in and the job requirements list something like “5 years of experience in the field”, it makes you sweat a little. I’ve found myself asking questions like…”What am I qualified to do then?”. Perhaps I do not know as much as I think I do. The confidence you gain as a Senior in college can certainly be diminished during the job hunt. I wish I had a resolution for this is issue, but at this point, I have only just begun to chart my post-graduation course.

I took a great hike in the woods and enjoyed the near 50 degree January weather!

That being said, I was excited to take some time relax this weekend, put away my laptop and enjoy the unseasonably warm temperatures we had here in Chicago for a couple of days! It was a nice break from the below zero temps we’ve been having. Now I am looking forward to Spring that much more! I hope everyone gets the chance to step outside for a bit before we’re back to reality!

Until next time…

www.sxu.edu/student-life/chicago/shuttle.asp

About Bridget Goedke

Hi everyone! I am currently a Senior communication major at Saint Xavier University! This is my second year blogging for the Cougar Diaries and I am very excited to continue sharing my story! I tend to blog a lot about my classes, happenings in and around SXU, my relationship with my identical twin sister, my family and friends and anything that I can't seem to get out of my head! I am graduating in May and preparing myself for life outside of SXU. So I invite you to join me as I embark on the final lap of my college career!