Valentines Once Again

Hey all, so I just wanted to start with an apology about how my last two post haven’t been what I believe they should be. Last week my post too short, and this week it’s a day late. For that, I am really sorry! It has been a crazy couple of weeks for me which should not influence my posts!

The Diner featured the Mercy Student for Peace and Justice (MSJP) Wall of Love during last week leading up to Valentine’s Day. Wall of Love is supposed to be visual event where the SXU community decorate the Diner in colors that bring them love. So we asked our staff and community what “brings you love” and “what reminds you of love” and “what makes you happy”. It was somewhat sad to see how much people struggled with coming up with one thing that made them feel loved in their life. But also it made me happy to see students asking if they could do more than just one post-it note because they need more room. A happy video of the event last year is this YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWO3GzckXJA

2.15. part 1This past Thursday, I had Eucharist Minister training. After this training, I can now give the bread and blood of Christ, so I think that’s pretty cool. To be given the opportunity to service our community and truly welcome them to our chapel. Our chapel works towards allowing everyone to feel truly welcomed at McDonough Chapel at SXU, all are welcomed.

On Friday, I was able to volunteer with Student Ambassadors (the tour guides) at the Ronald McDonald House which was a great experience! I had never actually been to the Ronald McDonald House but once I got there I saw how fantastic it all was! The “house” was more like an actual mansion but the house is a great resource in the Chicago area. Looking online at the website it says “Ronald McDonald House near Advocate Children’s Hospital opened its doors on December 15, 2008 as the fourth (of five) Ronald McDonald Houses in the Chicago. Our 16 bedroom House was designed as the ‘little House in the woods’ nestled in a grove of trees right across the street from Advocate Children’s Hospital. Unique to this House are our four extended stay suites, with separate living and sleeping areas, for families who need to stay over 30 days.  2.15 part 2The House is located right across the street from Advocate Children’s Hospital. Our hope is to provide world class care, comfort and compassion for families during their greatest hour of need, when their child is in the hospital.  Studies have shown that children heal 31% faster when their family is by their side. This year throughout Chicagoland, we anticipate providing 43,000 nights of care and comfort for families, saving close to $7.5 million in hotel and food costs for families in medical crisis.” If you are interested at looking at the website here it is! http://rmhccni.org/rmh-near-advocate-hope-childrens-hospital/

Later that Friday, I took my boyfriend to go and see the Chicago symphony orchestra (CSO) for part of his Valentines gift! I would like to start with, I’m not crazy about Valentine’s Day. But my boyfriend is pretty fantastic and does so much for me throughout the year that I decided to work really hard on saying thank you… 2.15. part 3So we were able to see the CSO with student tickets which seriously is great! Great seats for even a better price! (Seriously will miss it when I graduate). Even though Director Riccardo Muti was unable to conduct his February concerts in Chicago due to recovery from a hip operation that was needed following a minor accident. Distinguished Russian conductor Gennady Rozhdestvensky, who is currently in Chicago to lead the CSO in performances this weekend (February 5 & 6), has graciously agreed to remain with the Orchestra for an additional set of concerts on February 11 – 16. And it was truly a great performance. My boyfriend and I had a pretty relaxing weekend of great food! Making this valentines not suck so much! I hope that you all had a great week and a happy valentines!

Good luck this week! And have you heard about the heat spike this Friday of getting into the 50’s?! SO EXCITED! Especially after the snow this weekend!!