A Busy Weekend Leading Into a Busy Month

Welcome back,

Today marks the official start of spring although you might not know it due to the current 36 degree temperature.

I’ve had a relatively busy week and weekend. I turned in the first draft of my senior research paper. After spending most of my spring break writing, it stands at 70 pages currently. The next step is a week or so of editing before I turn it on the 30th. I can’t wait to have this paper completed! I know it will be a huge weight off of my shoulders!

On Thursday evening, the scholarship program I am lucky enough to be a part of hosted an awesome event! We welcomed an award-winning cartoonist, Keith Knight, and he gave a wonderful and humorous talk about race and police brutality in the U.S. It was a very enlightening and inspiring night!

A slide from Keith Knight's presentation

A slide from Keith Knight’s presentation

This photo was the opening slide of Keith’s presentation. Many of his comics focus on the unfair and unequal treatment of African American’s by law enforcement officers. Keith cites instances throughout his presentation in which he, his friends, or other African Americans were treated more harshly by police or experienced misplaced suspicion simply due to the color of their skin. Keith’s goal is to start the conversation on this topic, even though it may be awkward and unsettling to some, and hopefully spark awareness and change.

I traveled home this weekend to celebrate some special things with my family. On Saturday, I went out to a nice dinner with my mom, two sisters and a good family friend. We went to Ballagio restaurant in Homewood, Illinois. We enjoyed some great Italian food and cocktails! It is kind of a drive from campus, but I would recommend it if you’re ever in the area. Following dinner, we went to one of my favorite southside bars, Grape and Grain Co. in Homewood, Illinois. They have a wide variety of beer and wine, live music and a great atmosphere! I would highly recommend Grape and Grain to any southsiders.

My sisters and I getting drinks and Grape and Grain Co.

My sisters and I getting drinks at Grape and Grain Co.

Today, we are preparing for my cousin’s baby shower! I was given the task of creating the shower favors and I got a really cute idea from Pinterest. If you know me, you know I get just about all of my ideas from Pinterest! It’s always fun to get some inspiration online and see your idea come to life! I love this shower favor because it can easily be adapted to fit any type of shower (baby, bridal, etc.). I am so excited to celebrate this new addition to our family!

The week ahead will be a short, but busy one! We do not have class Thursday or Friday this week due to the Easter holiday, but I have a lot of work to get done in the next three days! Getting closer to the end of my final semester!

Countdown to graduation: 1 month 16 days 14 hours 18 minutes 6 seconds

Until next time…

About Bridget Goedke

Hi everyone! I am currently a Senior communication major at Saint Xavier University! This is my second year blogging for the Cougar Diaries and I am very excited to continue sharing my story! I tend to blog a lot about my classes, happenings in and around SXU, my relationship with my identical twin sister, my family and friends and anything that I can't seem to get out of my head! I am graduating in May and preparing myself for life outside of SXU. So I invite you to join me as I embark on the final lap of my college career!