Spring Break 2016

3.15Hey all! So these past two weeks have been completely utterly beautiful and ugly. From crazy midterm’s week to my spring break service trip in Tennessee, I feel as though I need another spring break to relax after this all! But life doesn’t roll this way! So onwards and forward!

The week before Spring Break, I was noticed that I was awarded the Dorothy Ritter Davis Scholarship. I can’t believe that I was picked, but I feel so blessed and honored! Quoting part of the award “The School of Education is proud to continue the legacy of Mrs. Ritter Davis by recognizing your commitment to excellence, compassion, service, and appreciation of diversity – qualities Mrs. Ritter Davis modeled in her 33 years of teaching. One of your recommendations noted your service and appreciation for diversity, ‘Ms. Garcia Fisher does not limit herself to a single group of people.  She is more concerned with finding solutions and supporting people with whom she can empathize, whether they be college students struggling to adjust to campus life, people trying to eke out a living in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, or undocumented citizens facing deportation at the Broadview Detention Center, where Ms. Garcia Fisher led a public prayer meeting for them so that they would know that others cared for them.  I know that this openness will prove to be an asset to her because jobs and populations are always in flux.  Teachers who can empathize with an array of people, as Ms. Garcia Fisher can, will prove to be much more effective.’” Writing about this two weeks later, I am still in shock that I was chosen!3.15 2

Otherwise, Midterms life was not all that exciting! I had exams and work so it was not all that fun… I did attend a student led Meditation about peace within the sea of troubles that midterms bring! RPM (Resident Peer Minister) Kathy and Rachel led it, and it was a much needed break in the week!

For my Spring Break, I went to Glenmary Farm. We were located on Joppa Mountain and the focus of our trip was a retreat-like mission-immersion program for those who are interested in sharing the mission and ministry of the Glenmary Home Missioners in Union and Grainger Counties, Tennessee through service, simplicity, prayer, and community in a rural setting. I had the opportunity to be part of the community by doing construction for the majority of the week! 1457526_10207778542768742_1610057522623339453_nThis allowed me to talk and listen to the families who we served while also working on creating a better life for them. I already miss waking up in the morning being on “God’s time” to see the vibrant, colorful, and captivating sunrise at Glenmary behind the Appalachian Mountains. I loved the peacefulness and stillness while gazing upon this wonderful view and hearing the melodic sounds of birds chirping and Belle snoring, then shortly after, hearing the wake-up call, “Gooooood morning! It’s another beautiful day on the mountain.” And finally I already miss the stars that filled the sky, how they shined so clear and bright when all I could do was to watch them. SXU sent a fantastic group of students who I felt honored to work with, it truly was a life- changing experience.

A poem that I have grown to deeply love from my trip was “The Invitation” by Oriah Mountain Dreamer:

It doesn’t interest me

what you do for a living.

I want to know what you ache for

and if you dare to dream

of meeting your heart’s longing.

It doesn’t interest me how old you are.

I want to know

if you will risk looking like a fool for love,

for your dream,

for the adventure of being alive.

This is only the beginning of it! So please look for the full text of it! If I were to ever get a tattoo, it would be of this. But it is also way too long…

So after a hardworking Spring Break, I came home to my Regina doom room with a cold and hives. I hope you all had a great Spring Break (hopefully ending better than mine did). And good luck on this first week back! Thanks for reading!