Big News!

IMG_1760Hey everyone! I hope your first full week of April went well. My first week of April was eventful and showed me how many blessings I truly have in my life.

On Monday, I got to start my week at my field experience site and it is always a great time. It breaks my heart that I have less than a month with these great students and my mentor teacher. Getting to be a part of their classroom has taught me so much; I will always hold onto these memories. Seeing firsthand how to create a positive environment in a classroom with limited resources and see true growth in these students is something I can strive to do in my own classroom someday.

On Tuesday, I had an exam in my American Literature course and found out this weekend that I got 100% (YAY, studying works!) Following this, I had a tour for the Office of Admissions with my old roommate, Brittany. It’s always more fun giving a tour with another person. And I think for Special Visit Day, it can make it more personal for the prospective students. Later on Tuesday, I had a meeting with MSPJ (Mercy Students for Peace and Justice) and ECO Club on how we are going to collaborate for Earth Day (April 22) and the Hunger Banquet (April 20). So keep your eyes open around school for flyers with more details about these two events!

On Wednesday, I had my “De-Stress with Pop Pilates” event, and it was great! It was supposed to be April 30, but Amanda, the instructor got sick so I decided to push my event back a week. It was a great event to see students be a part of! Students tried out Pop Pilates, tried new healthy snacks and we talked about ways to de-stress in college. I would say the event was a success!

On Friday, after going to the Office of Financial Aid and talking with my family, I committed to the paperwork and signed the contracts for my leadership positions for next year. I am so excited to announce that I am going to be a Resident Assistant (RA), Peer Minister for Justice (which is a whole new position they created this year- PM for Justice), and a Transition Peer Mentor again (TPM)! I feel truly blessed to have been picked for all three positions and look forward to seeing how they are all connected and yet different from one another. FullSizeRender (4)(This picture is from my FOCUS summer orientation, but it’s how I am feeling two years later!)

On Saturday, I was able to go to the Senior Art and Design Presentation. I was really excited about going because I was actually asked to participate in someone’s project, so I was looking forward to the finished product. I was so amazed with all of the artwork and I would for sure say to stop by and see it if you can! Here are some details from the SXU website:

The Senior Art and Design majors will be presenting their yearlong thesis work in two exhibitions entitled “Collective Imagination.” The first show will run April 9-19 and will feature Adewumi Adegoke, Tania Gutierrez, Dominique Joly, Karina Ramirez, Thomas Rohlfs and Wioleta Takuska. Opening reception is Saturday, April 9 from 3-5 p.m.The second show will run April 23-May 5 and will feature Lindsey Surin, Janet Tencza, Thoas Schultz, Eleanore Menke, Heidi Gregerson and Emma Healy. Opening reception is Saturday, April 23 from 3-5pm. Both exhibits will be in the SXU Gallery; hours are Monday – Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m. to  2 p.m.

Today (Sunday), I felt truly honored because I had my Induction Ceremony for Kappa Delta Pi, the School of Education honor society. We had a great guest speaker from the Chicago Sun Times newspaper, reporter Maudlyne Ihejirika. IMG_1920She presented an inspiring speech about “I Care” teachers and how essential it is for a teacher in an urban area to care even when there are limited resources for the classroom. Because my family is all in Minnesota, I was lucky to have my boyfriend there with me. It made me happy that he got to be there for a celebratory moment, instead of just listening to my rants about how much homework, stress, and studying that I need to do (which is normally what he is subjected to).

Overall, it was a busy, fantastic, hectic, and blessed full week. So I want to end this week’s post with a quote that brings me comfort about the future and college on this last month of classes:

“Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.” –Malcolm X