Bridget’s Guide to Managing Stress

Welcome back,

This week promises to be one of the most stressful and nerve-racking weeks of my college career. I have two senior presentation dress rehearsals, a paper due on Thursday and my big senior presentation on Friday night –┬ánot to mention Grad Fest on Wednesday! I have learned a lot about dealing with stress in the last four years, and I know I will be putting some of the techniques to good use this week. I thought I would take this opportunity to share some of my de-stressing techniques with you via the blog and hopefully you’ll find something that works for you as well!

1. Get outside – Even if you take a short walk to Starbucks or around Lake Marion, set aside some time to get outside during a stressful time. You will be surprised how much more clear your mind gets after just a few minutes outside.

2. Call your family – If you’re away at school like I have been, being away from your family can make dealing with stressful times all the more difficult. Don’t be afraid to pick up the phone and talk it out with someone in your family. You will be comforted by speaking to someone familiar and you might gain some extra insight about getting through the stress. Plus, I’m sure your family is always happy to hear from you!

3. Exercise – Whether you like to go to the gym, run, or just do some yoga in your room, make sure to allow time for that during a stressful week. It’s easy to let exercise fall by the wayside when you have so much going on, but stress makes exercise that much more important! For me, starting my day with a little yoga in my apartment is very effective. It helps me clear my mind and get relaxed before I try to take on any difficult tasks.

4. Watch a good show or movie before bed – One of my biggest problems during stressful times is falling asleep. If I work right up until bed time, I find that sleep just doesn’t come very easily. Therefore, I think it’s extremely necessary to put your work aside an hour or so before you go to bed and just put on your favorite show or movie to help yourself relax and take your mind off any stressful events ahead. Getting an adequate amount of sleep will help ensure that you’re ready to tackle the next day!

I hope these tips will help someone else battle stress and be successful as much as they have helped me during my time at SXU. This week represents the culmination of a lot of hard work for my classmates, and so I would appreciate prayers, thoughts and positive vibes!

Until next time…

About Bridget Goedke

Hi everyone! I am currently a Senior communication major at Saint Xavier University! This is my second year blogging for the Cougar Diaries and I am very excited to continue sharing my story! I tend to blog a lot about my classes, happenings in and around SXU, my relationship with my identical twin sister, my family and friends and anything that I can't seem to get out of my head! I am graduating in May and preparing myself for life outside of SXU. So I invite you to join me as I embark on the final lap of my college career!