Gorgeous Weather

The weather is finally amazing everyone! It’s time for spring dresses and sandals! Yayyyyy! I hope you all are enjoying the weather as much as I am.

This past Monday, I started my week with my field experience at Columbia Explores. Every time I go, the more excited I am about being a teacher. Although I am not at all a morning person, I want to be so that the students I work with get the best assistance and lessons. I believe there is hope for myself on being a morning person. (Knock on wood.) After my Monday afternoon class, I signed a contract with Ali who works for Student Life to be a Transition Peer Mentor (TPM) next year, so that’s exciting!

FullSizeRender (8)On Tuesday after my 8 am class, I had a tour which I believe went well, and then did table hours for “Pals for Tara.” Pals for change has brought together many RSOs at school to create awareness over SXU’s own student Tara Hill, who is a full-time student who has cancer. Tara is a fellow classmate of mine and I know few other students who are so kind-hearted and positive about life. Here’s her GoFundMe page if you would like to give anything: https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/h4xb/give-so-tara-can-live utm_source=giveforward&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=dashboard&shareid=34613. And here’s her blog if you are interested on reading more about Tara: http://www.onetarahill.com/423324285.

On Tuesday evening, I was able to convince Professor Hilton to let our class attend the “Professionalism in the Work Place” event. IMG_1940It was an exciting event to have with a great turnout of individuals interested in professionalism when it comes to religion, sex, and race. Responding to immigration issues was one of my favorite events that I attended this past week. We had three fantastic guest speakers who were all SXU graduates. I was really happy to go because they gave me hope about MSPJ for next year. After recently finding out that our budget has been decreased and that we will only be allowed to use the SXU shuttle services twice a semester instead of four times, I felt heartbroken. Knowing that this past year Yuritza and I had worked so hard to get our bus as full as possible and have the largest turnout for each trip than ever before, these budget cuts hurt a great deal. But it gives me reassurance to know that the Sisters of Mercy are going to be working with us to continue our monthly trips and fundraising for them.

IMG_1992On Friday, we had our last PM (peer minister) meeting with our old team. We also had some new members join. To me, it was a surprisingly emotional meeting. Knowing that so many of our fantastic team members will be graduating and going our own separate ways seems so unreal. I feel as though this year has went by too fast. To me, this meeting also showed me how the change of my positions for jobs next year will be different than this year: No longer being a RPM (resident peer minister) and being an RA (resident assistant) and a PM for Justice makes me truly excited to see how it will all go. I am really looking forward to our new team for next year, and I’m so excited for all the great members who stepped up to these positions.

On Saturday, I “needed” to attend the Art Institute in downtown for my online ESL class.IMG_1978 I was happy to have this reason because I have been waiting to go all year and haven’t been able to. I was even able to attend the van Gogh gallery. It was also surprisingly a lot cheaper to go as well. Because I was able to get in for the price of a Chicago student resident and the van Gogh exhibit was less than $20. I was super surprised! It was a great time but crazy busy being a Saturday afternoon.

That Saturday evening I was also finally able to see “My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2!” The first one is one of my favorite movies so I was so excited about the sequel. I was not at all disappointed. Without giving away details to the movie, it is totally worth going to see if you haven’t done so. I even dragged my boyfriend along and he also enjoyed it way more than he thought he would. So yay! It’s even boyfriend approved!

I seriously hope this weather stays and that everyone enjoys their week!

A quote to leave you with by Jimmy Dean: “I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.”