Is Hell Freezing Over?

So, I was going to write about my week in school. I was going to discuss how the week went, how I was doing and what not. However, I simply cannot avoid talking about the history that was made in the city of Chicago over the weekend. So if you’ve been keeping up with Chicago sports, specifically baseball, the Cubs have been on a quest to make it to the World Series, which would be their first since 1945. Well, the Cubs are now just four games away from a World Series championship. Yes people, this is actually happening.

Now I doubt I’ll be the only one talking about this but the Chicago Cubs beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-0 on Saturday in Game 6 of the National League Championship Series to punch their ticket to the World Series. Yes, you read that correctly. The Chicago Cubs are going to the WORLD SERIES. It almost doesn’t seem real. It sounds so weird just mentioning “Cubs” and “World Series” without any negativity whatsoever.

Now for people who don’t care too much about sports, specifically baseball, just know that this is a HUGE deal. For starters, the last time the Cubs reached the World Series, World War II had just ended, the first ballpoint pen went on sale and Franklin Roosevelt was president. Yeah, it has been that long. The Cubs worked their tails off all season to reach this goal, and it finally paid off. Although the journey has just begun, this historical accomplishment has hit home for many Cubs fans, especially for me and my family.

Watching the Cubs in the playoffs this year has been remarkable. Yes, it was stressful at times but the Cubs have shown time and time again why they are the best team in baseball. Their win on Saturday night was just another reason for me and Cubs fans to stay calm and just enjoy baseball. After the Cubs turned a double play to end the game, my family was thrilled and excited beyond belief, especially my dad, who was the most excited out of all of us. He has been a Cubs fan his whole life. He enjoyed watching Cubs greats growing up, such as Ryne Sandberg, Dave Kingman, Andre Dawson, Rick Sutcliffe, Mark Grace and many more. He shared his passion with the Cubs with me at a young age and, of course, with the rest of my family. He supported this franchise for many years and to see his support pay off with a Cubs World Series berth just warms my heart. However, we weren’t the only Cubbies fans getting emotional. We watched endless clips of fans at Wrigley also feeling what we felt. Fans of all ages were yelling, cheering and crying tears of joy. In my neighborhood, “W” flags flew, horns sounded, and fireworks lit up the sky. It almost felt like a dream. I did nothing but smile and thank the Lord. It didn’t hit me until I woke up Sunday morning and realized what we had just accomplished.

Though it was a great weekend for baseball, us Cubbies fans can’t get too ahead of ourselves. It was good to see our team reach the World Series but the journey is not over yet. The Cubs are going into Cleveland Tuesday night to face an extremely talented Indians team in a seven-game set. These games will definitely not be easy by any means but after a brilliant performance by the North-siders in the NLCS, I can definitely say that the Cubbies will put on the show of a lifetime. The trip to the grandest stage of them all was stressful but exciting, and now it is time to relax and let the Cubs be the Cubs. Even when the Cubs were struggling, they managed to get themselves together and never quit. They showed their “Never Back Down” attitude and it is just a reminder to me of how good of a baseball team we really have. The Cubs’ chemistry is at an all-time high and the bond between every single player is stronger than ever. Of course, it is a huge accomplishment itself just reaching the World Series but getting that illustrious ring after 108 years would be the icing on the cake.