Are You Thankful?

For us students here at SXU, we all have our feet on the gas pedal as we continue to stay focused in our classes. The final weeks of the 2016 school year are just upon us. For many students, including myself, many of our classes have some form of a final grade. It could be a test or even a paper. However, despite the amount of work and effort needed to finish the year off strong, I feel confident in my abilities to be successful this year and finish off the semester on a high note. As Thanksgiving approaches for all of us, it seems fitting to talk about the things that I am thankful for and how I was able to come this far in my life.

One of the most important things that I am thankful for is my family. Growing up, I was blessed to have a family that loved me enough to give me everything that they didn’t get as children. They made many sacrifices for me and my younger brothers and are still doing so today. They put a roof over our heads, food on our plates, and lots of love and support in everything that we do. One of the biggest sacrifices that my parents made for my brothers and I was putting us through a private high school and college education. Private education, as everyone knows, is not cheap. However, they felt as if the money would give us all a better opportunity to be taught by the best and be one step ahead in our lives. Not only has it prepared us to do just that, but I enjoy the environment and atmosphere of it all, especially in high school. I attended Saint Rita of Cascia in Chicago, and the memories I made there will last a lifetime. If it wasn’t for the sacrifices that my family had made, I honestly do not think I would be as successful or even as happy as I am today.

Along with my family, I can also never forget about the friends I have made throughout my life, especially within the past four years. High school allowed me to meet many new people and have numerous experiences that I will never forget. Going to an all-male high school was a blessing in disguise and the brotherhood that came along with it is something that cannot be replaced. For me, in addition to having a great family, it is also important to surround yourself with good people. Friends are a necessity in one’s life, and it is a good idea to always have people in your life who will be there for you. There have been many people in my life that have come and gone but the real friends that I have today are the ones that I still talk to and see today and they know who they are. With that said, I am thankful for them for riding with me throughout the years.

Lastly, I am thankful for the SXU experience. Coming from an all-male high school to SXU was definitely a transition. I have encountered different religions, cultures and ways of life that I had never experienced up close. I have noticed a strong sense of unity here at SXU as well. This school views everyone as equal, no matter religion, color or gender. Their core values of respect, excellence, compassion, service, hospitality, integrity, diversity and learning for life are illustrated each and every day. SXU has allowed me to expand my mind and appreciate all that this world gives us. It has made me a more respectful and appreciative person, and with that, I am definitely thankful.

Thanksgiving is about giving thanks to the people or things in our lives, showing appreciation for everything we have. I am blessed with a family, a house, good friends, and a great university education. There are many people in the world who have none of these things, and as the holidays approach, it is important to be appreciative for all the things we have, big or small. I highly encourage you all to use Thanksgiving to say thank you to all the people in your life that have had an impact in making you the person that you are today, even if you are no longer in touch with them. I promise you that that simple thank you will go a long way.